Sep 17, 2013

Posted in fabricPROJECTS | 0 Comments

Creature Hoodies

Yet another project from the backlog. I know, will they ever end? Almost!!! And then a few new projects, and then just in time for the holidays I’ll share a few of last year’s holiday projects. I can tell you’re barely able to contain your excitement!

Along with a couple of other things, I decided to make my own versions of hoodies I had seen on Pinterest last year as Christmas gifts. I started by buying rather basic gray hoodies at Target for my niece and nephew, though hers did have some sequins on the front.

Butterfly hoodie

Butterfly hoodie

For Carly’s hoodie, I used bright pink flannel and cut two separate wings. I sewed each individually with a layer or two of batting in the middle to give it some body. I attached the two wings one at a time by hand at the center of the wing quite securely. I also tacked down each of the outer points to keep the wings from flapping about too much.

Close-up of wing detail

Close-up of wing detail

Before attaching, I did a freestyle wavy quilting of sorts with my sewing machine and sewed around the outline of it as well to give it some texture. Otherwise, it looked really dull.

Carly in her hoodie

Carly in her hoodie

And here’s a picture of Carly wearing her hoodie, I believe Christmas night, playing with her new dollhouse.

Dino Hoodie

Dino hoodie

While I would’ve liked to embellish the butterfly more, Corbin’s dinosaur ideally needed more spikes. In fact, I made more spikes but ran out of time to attach them. Originally they were supposed to go all the way up onto the hood. However, I underestimated how long it would take to complete the project doing it the way that I did and really should’ve used a different technique.

Individual spikes

Individual spikes

I used my machine to do about 3/4 of the stitching on the spikes, leaving open the hole to stuff them with batting so they’d stand up. Most of the versions I found online only used a bit of interfacing but I had the bright idea to actually stuff the spikes. It was cute but it took forever to stuff them and stitch them closed. In addition, I then stitched them all onto the hoodie one at a time. I think I could’ve used a looser stitch. Or perhaps used some sort of looser stitch to secure them onto another piece of fabric and then used my machine to attach that to the jacket.

Regardless, I ran out of time to attach the rest of the spikes. And I don’t have a photo of Corbin wearing his hoodie despite seeing him in it because Corbosaurus Rex isn’t exactly known as being a species that stands still long enough for photos. Though he does have an impressive RAWR!!!

Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *